BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Techniques

Friday 20 May 2011

Are you tough?

Whilst warming up as a group, Kevin mentioned about having music during training. He said that the guys down in Portsmouth have music during sessions, as one brings an iPod and speakers. I thought that it was cool to have music whilst training. I've always liked music and would have it whenever possible. He then said something that made me sit up and think. "You don't have to look and act tough to be tough", he said. I believe he was saying this in the context of having fun and training in a relaxed manner, and not looking and acting badass all the time. Not that it was ever an issue where I train but I mulled over this in training and for several days, hence this post.

What is being tough? How would you say someone is tough? In my native Filipino language, "tough" is being "siga". When someone mentions "siga", there is a mental imagery of someone who is muscle-bound, tattooed, and strikes fear in someone. Is there a difference betwen tough and tough-looking, then?

Is being a fighter, or someone knowing martial or any striking art make someone tough/tough-looking? In the current MMA/BJJ scene, there is a fair number of practitioners who sport body ink,  in various sizes and locations. A fair number of them also supplement their training with weightlifting and strength and conditioning. Does this inadvertedly make them tough-looking? Is this a conscious or subconscious decision on their part in order to strike fear (or at least second thoughts) against messing with them. What if your opponent has more tattoos and is more ripped?

At this point, I want to make a distinction between being physically tough and mentally tough. We've seen fights where fighters crumple into a fetal position or turn away from a more aggressive fighter. Conversely,we've seen those who, in the face of adversity, appear to get more pumped and seemingly able to dig deep to pull themselves out of the predicament they're in.

I realise I've put out more questions that I have answered, but the truth is, I do not know myself. I believe toughness, or being "siga" is totally a subjective matter and is open to interpretations, based on a person's perspective. I myself sport several tattoos, am pierced, and a martial arts practitioner. Some people might think I am tough or "siga", but I think otherwise.

0 comments: