BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Techniques

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Crybaby

As my training partners fill the mats at the gym, here I am, at home, trying my best to type. One hand clutches a piece of tissue paper, trying to blot my eyes as I fight to prevent the tears from running down my cheeks. Sniffling, my nose runny, eyes raw, I squint to see the monitor in front of me. 

I have hayfever. And it sucks big time.

I have not only missed several days of training because of this, I have also been off work for several days last week. I first had hayfever last year, but it wasn't as bad as this year. Someone told me that there is a species of tree that triggers severe hay fever to those susceptible to it but fortunately, it only blooms every ten years. The last time it bloomed was 2003. Yay.

I've tried a lot of medication, believe me. Antihistamines in various forms - tablets, capsules, liquids. I've also had eye drops and nasal sprays. All of which give me temporary relief. Right now, I'm trying out this eye spray, which is £17 a pop. It is marginally better than the eye drops, and I combine it with the nasal spray and the antihistamines. Gives me enough relief on some days, but not today. 

Sniff, squint, and sneeze. Rinse and repeat.

Sigh.

0 comments: