BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Techniques

Wednesday 16 November 2011

So, do you wanna be a BJJ player?

Training with Kevin today. For the last week or so, we've been drilling escapes from various positions, e.g., side control, guard, half guard, triangle... The common theme amongst all of these is PATIENCE. It's not about rushing to get out, but to think methodically and move slowly but purposefully. This is Kevin's thing. He admits that in the past, he used to be a very aggressive player, and then he rolled with someone who withstood all his aggression and methodically tapped him out several times. For him, it was an awakening and then proceeded to change his game into what we've come to know and hopefully, learn.
I seem to have benefitted a lot in today's training. It appeared (to me, at least), that he spent some time watching me drill and roll, and gave me pointers throughout the class. What was invaluable to me, as well, is the time I get to chat with him during sparring breaks - I do one-on and one-off sparring at the moment to allow my shoulder to rest, as I wanted to train consistently, rather than be off due to injury again.
We did discuss about the Croydon school closing down BUT with the intention of opening one up in Crystal Palace! If that wasn't good news, I don't know what is. To be honest, when I started asking Pinoy BJJ brother, Jon, about the possibility of going to BJJ School in Battersea, I was welcomed with open guard, eh, open arms, I mean... I have also spoken with Kevin about this, in a very tangential and roundabout manner, and states that Felipe is one of his teachers, so no issue with that, in case I do decide to move there. But it seems that I don't need to do that, fingers crossed.
Towards the end of the class, Kevin gave a speech about investing time and energy in drilling and rolling. He said that if you are the sort of person who only train once or twice a week, your progress will be very slow - unless you just like wearing a gi and talking about UFC/MMA. I thought he was talking about me LOL!!
Seriously, that woke me up a bit. I do want to progress in BJJ. I may not reach black belt level, but as long as I could impart my knowledge and skills to my children, I will have fulfilled my goal. And that is my legacy.

--------------------
Congratulations to !ittle Steve and Lanky Rob on getting their blue belts tonight. No bells and whistles, no fanfare, no belt-whipping. Just wear your blue belt the next time you come to class, Kevin says. Typical Kevin - practical, efficient, direct to the point. Like his jiu jitsu.

3 comments:

slideyfoot said...

Nice: I like the sound of his approach to promotion.

binster said...

Thanks, Slidey. My apologies in publishing your comment so late - but the thing is, I have only received notification of your comment YESTERDAY!

So weird.

slideyfoot said...

Heh - no probs, I get an email due to comment subscription anyway. ;)