BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Techniques

Monday 14 November 2011

Creonte?

I was at a work-related conference last Friday, when I got word from fellow Kamon BJJ brother, Keith, that Kevin is pulling out of the Wednesday classes by the end of the month. The numbers are just too low for him to sufficiently maintain the rent of the school. I do understand his point, and he has his businessman's hat on when he made his decision. He loves to teach and impart his knowledge to us, but at the end of the day, it is a business and it has to remain viable for it to continue. I bet he has been losing money on the Croydon school ( he still has the Portsmouth school and the Isle of Wight, I believe) for several months, which forced his hand in making this decision.
The Thursday classes run by Dante, BJJ brown belt and Judo blackbelt, will still run and we are hoping that he will be able to take over the Wednesday classes, as well.
This news bummed me out for the rest of the day. I really enjoy going to the school and met a lot of wonderful people there. I take a huge stock on camaraderie , friendliness, and being able to help and support each other. Also, another big part in sustaining my attendance in BJJ is it's convenience. It's just a 20-30 minute drive from where I live and probably the same distance from work, as well. In my old school, it took me around 2 hours to get there using public transport during rush hour. I don't need that extra stress, to be honest. Nothwithstanding, the transport/petrol money you have to take into consideration on top of your monthly mat dues.

Is it time to start looking out for a new school? I hope not.

0 comments: