BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Techniques

Thursday 25 August 2011

The path of least resistance

Back in training after being off for two weeks.
I admit I was feeling a bit anxious about it. In the past, if I have been off for a week or so, my cardio suffers and my skills (little as they may be) appear non-existent. It would be easy to forgo training this week as I am on leave from work until Monday but I shall be facing the same situation next week, and I would have been out for three weeks!
So, with this dread sitting at the bottom of my stomach, I decided to suck it up and drive my way to the gym. I made a conscious decision to come in a bit earlier as there were several road works along the way and I didn’t want to stress myself more than I already am.
Good thing that Elliot and Guy were already there and Elliot asked me to show him the Kimura from North-South position. I hope I did justice to it as he had the look of confusion on his face LOL. He then showed me Spider Guard position and how to maintain control, both from top and bottom.
There were only a few of us as Kevin took the class – in a way better as there was more space for everyone. It also meant that Kevin will be able to see our individual progress, both in BJJ in general and in today’s techniques, as there were less to monitor on the mats.
As part of the continuing Open Guard techniques, Kevin demonstrated Spider Guard how to maintain control from top. I believe the key here is to keep your elbows inside and not allowing your opponent to control your arms/position via his legs.
He then showed us an open guard passing technique, which involves stacking and keeping your weight on your opponent. This technique relies on  sensitivity and feel. It is not explosive and more of like a slow grinding move as you get into side control position.
Another technique he showed us was a reversal from bottom open guard (push-pull), which is something that Purple Belt Steve taught a while ago. Kevin showed us a variation, though, when if you can’t get an ankle pick. This entails switching the foot that was on your opponent’s hip and using your other leg to sweep his farthest leg. I and Elliot spent some time on this to get the details correct. Again, the key here is to keep your opponent’s  leg pinned on the mat with your leg/shin after the reversal to enable you to control his position as you come up to establish side control.
In all his teachings, Kevin has always emphasised the concept of the technique, rather than a specific technique. Sensitivity and tactileness is a good foundation to have as it allows you to move and adapt your position in relation to your opponent. This makes strength less of a factor as you are not strong arming your way into postion and you move towards the path of least resistance.
Sparring with Guy twice. It felt more like rolling and flowing to me as I wasn’t expending too much energy and I was able to move between positions with relative ease. I even tried a couple of submission techniques ;).
Maybe it was the weather. Or my partners today. Or being on holiday. But it appeared that I was more relaxed today. And less  tired. I felt like I knew what I was doing and was more conscious of my actions and positions. I felt like I know BJJ.
In saying that, I’m sure I’ll get smashed again tomorrow night...
Oh, well.

2 comments:

Elliott said...

Lol I may have looked confused, but it had nothing to do with your instruction I always look like that when first shown a technique. Your transitions and cardio is coming along in leaps and bounds!

binster said...

Thanks, Elliott. I'll probably get gassed and smashed again when I get back LOL