BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Techniques

Sunday 29 July 2012

Into the blue...



I've been using a blue belt for nearly a month now to keep my gi jacket closed on the mats. I was awarded it by Felipe Alves de Souza and José Henriqué Leão Teixeira on the recent BJJ School summer grading last July.

I must admit, the belt promotion came as a surprise, as I never expected it. I was struggling a bit on the mats in the couple of weeks leading to it and thought that at best, I was getting a stripe or two. But when Jon, BJJ School squad mate and fellow Pinoy who trains at Willesden said that Felipe does not award stripes at formal gradings, I stated that if that's the case, I wasn't getting any then haha.

So when, Felipe called my name, he had to say it thrice, as I thought it was someone else with the same name as mine. Suffice to say, I had the most confused look throughout the ceremony. I didn't think I deserved to be at blue belt level but after reflection, if Felipe, Ze, and the rest of the BJJ School instructors believe in my skills, who am I to dispute?

Well, those who disputed were the white belts who smashed me the following day I got on the mats. Haha

To be honest, I looked forward to that. I felt I needed to prove to myself and to others that the belt does not bestow the wearer any power ups and special skills upon receipt. That I was the same guy who came in the week before, just wearing a different coloured belt.

For a lot of people, being a blue belt means that the wearer has put in a significant amount of time and effort in learning the art. He or she will have gained at least a minimum amount of knowledge necessary to give a new guy an introduction to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I would like to think that when your instructor awards you with a belt, he sees something in you - be it skills or personality traits that he likes and approves of, and that you are worthy of carrying the school/academy name with you.

You have to understand, when black belt awards you a belt, his name is forever associated with you - he is passing on his lineage to you .


No pressure there.



My lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda -> Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> José Henriqué Leão Teixeira -> Felipé Alves de Souza -> me

2 comments:

Feek2000 said...

Nice one. Congrats bro.

slideyfoot said...

Cool! Congrats on the new belt. :D

I'm sure you know this already, but it's totally normal to feel undeserving of the belt. I've yet to feel I'm worthy of any of the belts I've received in martial arts. Here's hoping I'll be able to crack a smile when I get my brown, rather than thinking "shit, already? Can I give it back?". ;)